[Vision2020] Republican "Strateagery"

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sun Nov 5 08:26:37 PST 2006

It is very sad that the Latah Republicans have bought into the Rovian
school of politics in which it is perfectly acceptable to distort and
lie about a Democratic candidate on the simple premise that it
doesn't matter how you get elected as long as you get elected. I
know: I was subject to the same type of smear campaign currently
directed at Shirley Ringo during my run against Tom Trail two years
ago.

The Trail campaign placed ads making the claim that I was going to
take away people's guns. Trail based his absolutely false accusation
on my response to an NRA survey in which I said that unlimited access
to automatic weapons was not a good idea. Didn't matter that I also
responded that protecting people's rights to own guns was extremely
important to me, or that I likely spend much more time with a hunting
rifle in my hands than Tom Trail ever has.

But why let a little truth get in the way when there's an election at
hand? Despite that fact the Trail and I participated in at least half
a dozen candidate forum and debates, he never brought up the gun
topic in a place where it could actually be discussed. The same
appears to be true of Falen's attacks against Shirley Ringo.

I've no insider information on why the local party that used to be
one of balance and integrity when its leading voice was Tom Boyd has
transformed into a winner-take-all-damn-the-effects-on-the-community
but I will observe that it also coincides with Gary Schroeder's
annointing of his son Barrett as chair of the Latah Republicans.
Barrett is treasurer of the Falen campaign.

Coincidence? I think not. I hope there are community-minded Latah
Republicans reading this post and that they think long and hard about
what their local party has become under Schroeder's leadership.

Mark Solomon