[Vision2020] Active Troops by and large, support Bush....

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 4 10:14:34 PST 2006

Gary,

You said at the end of your post,

'I think that most folks don't care for the
hectoring, anti-USA message that was being pounded out ad nauseam, not to
mention the snarkey,' I'm more intelligent then you red state rubes'
attitude. An attitude that is becoming significantly more prevalent (on this
list as well as general liberal media sources. Please ref. the NYT editorial
Ms. Paul so thoughtfully provided) as election day draws closer. An
attitude, not surprisingly, amply displayed in your response.'

Ms. Pall forwarded Thomas Friedman's column.  As I pointed out to Pat Kraut,
Friedman was a supporter of the war from the beginning.  He's no liberal.
I'm a liberal, and I spit almost every time I read one of his columns.  He
wrote one pro-war column after another.  He bought into the foolish notion
that we could impose change in the Middle East by invading Iraq, and in
doing so believed those selling that particular snake oil; I don't think
that was the reason for the war, but it's one of the current rationales.

There is nothing conservative in that idea.  It's a radical idea, and one
completely unsupported by history.  Can anyone point out a Middle Eastern
state where such a plan succeeded?  There's nothing conservative about
launching such a scheme when it's unsupported by history, and has so many
reasons to fail.  There were plenty of reasons to see that Iran would be in
a position to benefit from this.

That said, Friedman has turned against the HANDLING of the war over the last
year or so.  He has been very critical of Rumsfeld and Bush, and certainly
attacked the White House in this column.  That doesn't make him a liberal.
It just means he's finally realized he jumped into bed with the wrong people
and now he's trying to salvage his reputation.  He was certainly attacking
the White House for trying to make the most out of Kerry's botched joke to
distract attention from the huge mess they've made.

I heard a soundbite of Bush on Rush Limbaugh's show, in which he attacked
Kerry and said Kerry had to understand that words have consequences.

I'm glad Bush knows this.  Were there any consequences when the world's best
protected person said to the Iraqi insurgents, 'Bring it on?'  How many dead
since then?  Where does he get off going after Kerry?  He chose to start the
war, until the last couple of weeks he's the one saying 'Stay the course,'
while other people get shot up.  Consequences indeed.

I don't think one takes an anti-US position when you see your country headed
towards a cliff.  You want to call it that, perhaps you can defend the
positions that have led us here. I can't.  If you can explain how you think
we can improve things, I'm all ears.

Sunil