[Vision2020] Texas Deploys Virtual Border Patrol

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 3 18:44:50 PST 2006

>From CNN.com -

Texas deploys virtual border patrol

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (AP) -- Texas has started broadcasting live images of the
U.S. border on the Internet in a security program that asks the public to
report signs of illegal immigration or drug crimes.

A test Web site went live Thursday at texasborderwatch.com with views from
eight cameras and ways for viewers to e-mail reports of suspicious activity.
Previously, the images had only been available to law enforcement and
landowners where the cameras are located.

"There is only one way to test it, and that's open it up for business," said
Texas Homeland Security Director Steve McCraw.

Some civil rights groups have criticized the "virtual border watch," saying
it will instill fear in border communities and could lead to fraudulent
crime reports and racial profiling.

The cameras will operate at hot spots for illegal activity, such as Amistad
Reservoir in Del Rio and Falcon Lake in Zapata, and other active border
areas such as highway rest stops and inspection stations, officials said.
Information e-mailed by viewers goes to the state's operations center and
local law enforcement in that area.

McCraw said the project will eventually grow to include at least 70 cameras
throughout South Texas, some with zoom lens and thermal capacity. The state
is using $5 million in federal security grants that have been earmarked for
the web camera program.

Yeah.  Grab yourself a 12-pack, pop a top and go on patrol at:

http://texasborderwatch.com

Heck.  I registered with Border Watch, received my password, and went on
"patrol" before I finished my first beer.  Eleven cameras.  No wating.

"Madness does not always howl.  Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end
of the day saying, 'Hey, is there room in your head for one more?'"

- Author Unknown