[Vision2020] correcting the record

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Fri Nov 3 17:56:55 PST 2006

I am responding to Roger Falen's  information regarding Don Meyer.  Earlier
today Roger said Don did not remember exact details correctly.  Roger and
Don have both been caught in a lie and now Roger tries to blame it all on
Don.  I called Don yesterday after his letter came out in the Daily News,
and I would say his replies to me were patently fabrication, but
nevertheless, quite specific.

 1.  I asked him where and when the meeting took place.  He was emphatic--it
was a VFW meeting and it took place in 2000 or 2002.
 2.  I asked him who saw Shirley refuse to stand for the Pledge.  His reply,
"I saw her."
 3.  I asked him if there were others who might validate his claim.  His
reply, "Gary Schroeder and Tom Trail were there and also Roger Falen."
 4.  I told him I would be contacting Gary and Tom and he replied, "Well
they might not have been there, I can't remember."
 5.  To emphasize my point, I asked again, "You say you saw her "refuse" to
stand.  His reply:  "Well I won't say she refused, but she didn't get up."
 6.  I reminded him that his letter used the word, "refused," to which he
replied, "Maybe she didn't refuse, she just did not stand."
  7.  I said to him, "It's clear you have not told the truth.  Do you
realize that what you printed in the paper could be called libel?"   And his
reply, "It isn't libel if it's a politician."
  8.  I then asked him about Roger Falen.  "Did Roger see Shirley?"  His
reply, "It has been a while, I'm not sure Roger was there, either."  So I
asked him specifically who else might have been there and observed Shirley,
and he couldn't remember anyone.
  9.  And then he told me he had to leave and hung up.

And now Roger says Don is mixed up in his facts.  Really!! And Roger has
just now realized that?  Interestingly,  Roger was the one who was spreading
the rumor to his friends in the Genesee Post Office.  And his comments
related specifically to, "a meeting in Troy where Shirley did not stand for
the flag salute."  And that was the rumor printed in the paper.  I had a
friend ask me about it.  Her husband had heard it here in Moscow as early as
last week.
You are welcome to draw your own conclusions regarding who is lying--Don
with his letter to the editor, or Roger who ran with the tale, but now tries
to place all the blame on Don.    The facts are: 1.  Shirley did not attend
a VFW meeting in Troy in 2000 or ANY OTHER TIME. 2. As a teacher for more
than 30 years, Shirley not only stood for the pledge, she often led her
students in it.  As a member of the Idaho Legislature Shirley rises with the
other legislators each morning to say the pledge.  And lastly:  The Falon
campaign owes Shirley an apology..  The lie they spread has scattered now.
There is no taking it back. No matter that Roger Falen is amending his
claims, his words are built on a lie.  His only moral recourse is to say to
Shirley Ringo, "I'm sorry."  And he might consider an apology to Don Meyer
as well,  for laying all the blame at his door.

Sue Hovey