[Vision2020] Shirley Ringo's Response

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 3 12:49:26 PST 2006

>From today's (November 3, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

Letter included an outright lie

The life of a candidate is not always easy. Despite best efforts, time for
family and friends becomes scarce. It is a lot of work. A very difficult
aspect of campaigning involves situations where an opponent is not honest,
twisting my comments and actions in an effort to win votes. This is the
downside of running for office. But as Harry Truman said, "If you can't
stand the heat stay out of the kitchen."

On rare occasions, though, there will be an outright lie that takes my
breath away. Such was the case with a letter to the editor in the Nov. 1
Daily News. Don Meyer makes the claim that "at one local meeting she
(Shirley Ringo) refused to stand when the pledge was said."

Long ago, my first-grade teacher made two comments that impressed me so that
I remember them today. One regarded the importance of respecting the flag.
Two of my uncles had been engaged in operations in World War II. One of them
was taken prisoner during the Battle of the Bulge. He suffered permanent
injuries as a result of a beating administered by a guard. The other,
fighting in the Pacific, struggled with emotional problems for the rest of
his life. I understand sacrifices made by military troops, and I am a
product of a generation where respect for country and flag was important.

I am proud to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. To claim I have refused is
blatantly untrue. It makes me question why anyone would place more value on
a seat in the Legislature for himself or a political ally than maintaining
personal integrity.

Shirley Ringo
Moscow

Seeya at the polls, Moscow.