[Vision2020] Wilson Digs His Slavery Hole Deeper

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 3 07:59:16 PST 2006

Greetings:

Someone is not telling the truth and it's either the Spokesman Review reporter Shawn Vestal or Doug Wilson.  I'm laying all my bets that Vestal is the truth teller.

Here is the paragraph in question from the Oct. 22 front page story: "[Wilson] acknowledges that portraits of Lee and Confederate flags have adorned
office and school walls at times and says that he believes in some - but not
all - of the tenets on which the Southern confederacy was built: a society
centered around God and belief, a simple farming life as opposed to a hectic
modern one, and an emphasis on traditional family and community."

Here is Wilson's reponse: "“Nick also said he appreciated my confession that Robert E. Lee's portrait,etc. have been displayed 'in church and school functions.' But alas, I said nothing of the kind. The reporter and I did not talk about that."  If this is true, then Wilson should write to the Spokesman.  I'm sure that would print his clarification as quickly as they published my letter of appreciation for the article.

Some of you will recall a very similar maneuver with regard to Wilson's statement that homosexuals should either be executed or banned.  This appeared in the Daily News in December, 2003, but it took Wilson three years to announce that he had been misquoted!

Just about as lame as Wilson's explanation for 20 percent of the slavery booklet coming from another book because of "transmission" errors.  The real transmission error happened back in Monroe, Louisana, where Steve Wilkins hired his parishioners to key in entire books on the Antebellum South so that he could cut and paste to produce his own "books."

Wilson appears to confirm conservative Calvinist Joe Morecraft's story that he saw the Confederate flag in his office, just as a former Kirker saw it hanging behind Wilson when he preached, and just as the local band Potato Head objected to its presence at a Logos School picnice at which they were asked to play.

One does have to travel to the South to see a Confederate flag.  A UI faculty member has one in his office, but he would be the first one to reject Wilson's revisionist views of his Southern heritage.  It's not just the flag, Doug, its the paleolithic philosophy and theology that you attach to it.

Someone on this list chided me for apparently not knowing the difference between "neo" and "paelo."  I certainly do know the difference, but I can see only one difference between Wilson's "paleo" Confederacy and Wilkin's "neo" Confederacy.  (Wilkins was a founding director of the neo-Confederate League of the South.) About three years ago Wilson told the Lewiston Tribune that his main objection to the neo-Confederates was that he did not think that an actual reformation of these 15 states as a sovereign nation could actually happen.

Finally, if Wilson believe in all the major ideas of the Old South, and if the Old South with slavery was the most harmonious multiracial society in human history (slavery booklet, p. 24), then I have difficulty understanding why slavery had to be abolished.

Nick Gier, intolerista par excellence

Intolerance is a virtue when one is intolerant of dishonesty, deception, evasion, discrimination, bigotry, ugly behavior, and bad manners.