[Vision2020] Ringo's Answer to Falen

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 2 09:17:15 PST 2006

Greetings:

I posted my own query to Falen a couple of days ago, but now I'm not sure if it got to everyone.  Here is Shirley's own letter on the topic of creationism and evolution.

Nick Gier

Righting negative spin
LMT, Nov. 1, 2006

The Lewiston Tribune gave Roger Falen space to answer criticism levied at him in a Jim Fisher editorial. Falen went much further than a mere response to that criticism [Turnabout, Oct. 29]. I am compelled to answer his claims.

The issue in the Tribune editorial relates to Falen's statement on a candidate survey that he supports teaching creationism in public schools. Falen tries to explain his answer by saying it is important for students to understand their fellow humans -- "an understanding of the diversity of philosophical beliefs."

However, the item which he supports on the survey specifically states that schools should be "allowed to teach that man is a created being, not an evolved being." This goes much further than discussing philosophical beliefs. If philosophical beliefs were truly Falen's concern, one might have expected him to support the item "teach the Bible as literature and history in public schools." However, he couldn't decide how to answer that one.

Falen once again tries to appeal to your emotions by putting a negative spin on some of my votes. He tries to make people believe I will try to take their guns, and generally looks for any button he can push to divert attention from my work to support you. (For the record, I support your right to own firearms and hunt.)

I carefully weigh the merits of every bill before I cast my vote, and I do not hesitate to voice my concerns. You should expect no less of me.

Shirley Ringo

Moscow