[Vision2020] Neo-Confederates Everywhere

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 2 08:54:00 PST 2006

Greetings:

With regard to this article, I refer you to the documentary "Our Town," available at the local library, in which Doug Wilson predicts that God will smite the ungodly as if they were lawn chairs on a beach facing a tsunami.  In that video you can also hear Doug Wilson tell the sick joke about the joys of democracy:  the one about the two coyotes and the lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  And then there is the facial hair, too.

But back then the neo-Confederate terrorists were, sadly, mainly Southern Democrats.

The New Republic, 10.31.06

REPUBLICANS AND POSTWAR RECONSTRUCTION:

by Eric Rauchway

You can find defenders of the Confederacy throughout the country--which is peculiar, because you'd think we'd be out of sympathy with reckless men in excessive facial hair who want to kill U.S. citizens and undermine the American republic.

But it's much harder, and maybe impossible, to find people willing to defend white Southerners' behavior in the postwar era--they turned to terrorism (yes, they used that word back then) to assert what they quite frankly regarded as their right to white supremacy.

Why did they succeed in peace, when they had failed in war? Partly because they committed themselves so zealously to their villainy; partly because the Republican architects of the postwar occupation plan stumbled at the start, and could never afterward recover. You can read a bit more about some recent books on this subject here.