[Vision2020] Michael J. Fox interview

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 1 16:06:18 PST 2006

To quote Michael Fox's book, "No Clue":

"Snippets of my testimony were featured on several of the nightly news
broadcasts.  One line in particular from my prepared statement got a lot of
play:  "In my forties, I can expect challenges most people wouldn't face
until their seventies and eighties, if ever.  But with your help, if we all
do everything we can to eradicate this disease, when I'm in my fifties I'll
be dancing at my children's weddings."  I had made a deliberate choice to
appear before the subcommittee without medication.  It seemed to me that
this occasion demanded that my testimony about the effects of the disease,
and the urgency we as a community were feeling, be seen as well as heard.
For people who had never observed me in this kind of shape, the
transformation must have been startling."

Pat Kraut's statement:

"Did you read the book wherein Fox was the first to say that he had played
with his meds to put on a good show?? People with Parkinson's were incensed
when they heard he did it! Rush didn't make it up...Fox did!"

My original statement that Michael Fox NEVER made such a statement still
stands.

As far as "People with Parkinson's were incensed when they heard he did it"
is concerned, here is another passage from Michael Fox's book (shortly after
Fox's testmony before the subcommittee):

"As Joan [a California attorney suffering from Parkinson's Disease] and I
left the corridors of power we must have looked like a pair of drunken
sailors; the day's hectic events had brought our symptoms to full boil, and
both of us were a little wobbly.  But something else was going on with Joan
- I noticed that she was fighting back tears.  'Am I missing something?' I
said, baffled.  'I thought we did pretty good back there.'

'Oh, it was fantastic,' she said.  'It's just that it's always been so hard
to get anyone to even listen to us, never mind invite us into their
offices.'  She flashed me a smile.  'It's a whole new world.'"

Just what is your definition of "incensed", Pat?