[Vision2020] Wrong on Union?

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu May 25 12:08:39 PDT 2006

Nick says:
"One of my neighbors is a Moscow City policeman.  These guys have been
very discrete and very civil about their reasonable demands.  Out of
respect for his delicate position, I've not quizzed him about the
situation.  But I can tell you, and especially Dan, one thing: this man
is not bored with his job or with Moscow!  He has bought a very
expensive house and his wife stays at home raising two small children."

Nick,

Yes, that guy wants to stay around and enjoys Moscow for what it is.
That's awesome.  That's why I still live here.  But, many have left, and
I don't think they left because the MPD doesn't have a union.  I'm of
the OPINION (keyword right there) that they leave for a chance to chase
more bad guys somewhere else.

Maybe them leaving for "greener pastures" is not a bad thing, if you
take the time to read through Wayne's post on the subject.  I'd much
rather have officers hang around who appreciate Moscow for what it is
rather than someone who is bored with the lack of action.

Maybe the City should be looking harder for applicants who are likely to
stay around longer, rather than being a free training ground for every
other metropolis in the northwest.

DC