[Vision2020] local summer activities

Warren Hayman whayman at adelphia.net
Thu May 25 10:34:53 PDT 2006

Hello Debbie et al,

Thanks for the post idea, and sorry I missed the offlist responses. As
far as other books go, I think Rich Landers, the outdoor editor of the
Spokesman-Review edited a "100 Hikes within 100 miles" of Spokane type
of book which may be at Bookpeople. Cort Conley may have done a similar
thing for Idaho.

Two places we enjoy are canoeing up to upper Priest Lake (haven't done
it in a couple of years now, though) and camping or cabining it
anywhere along 12 from Wilderness Gateway to the Lochsa Lodge. The
lodge has fun cabins for pretty cheap, really, and dogs are OK. The
stretch allows for all of the woods activities associated along with
hot springs ranging from an easy walk in to difficult (especially with
kids).

A fun day trip we've done with neighbors is the lake biking trail at
the southern end of Lake CdA. We do a two-car thing and start at the
trailhead in Plummer. From there to the lake is a beautiful 7.5 mile
downhill ride, and with two cars there's no need to ride back up. The
rest of the trail is as flat as the lake itself, of course, and Heyburn
is right there, and the great trestle bridge across the lake as well.
Or start at Harrison. The owner of the bike shop there, John Colby, is
one of the founding members of the Fabulous Kingpins, and is thusly
amenable to Muscovites.

One weekend-ish trip we keep planning and haven't done yet is the
Magruder Corridor. Has anyone done it? For us, it seems that each time
our family constellations align for time off together, the road is
either frozen or on fire. We were thinking of a two or three nighter,
along the possibilities of maybe one night in Elk City, one night
midway through (I think there's an FS cabin halfway on the road, and a
final night at say the Lochsa Lodge. Advice or recommendations, anyone?

Warren Hayman