[Vision2020] year round school

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 22:42:11 PDT 2006

"What will farmers do without the summer help. You   know, like driving truck, bucking hay...that sort of thing? Hire   "guest workers"?"-- Kai Eiselein

  Kai,

  I misunderstood you. I thought when you asked "What will farmers do  without the summer help" if children were in school during summer, you  were concerned about the farmers not having children for labor, not  that children were losing valuable work experience. If that was your  point, you should have brought that up, instead mentioning your grief  for the farmers.

 I am 100% in agreement that all children  should be taught real life and working experience in their yearly  education, and it would increase their chances of survival and success  in life. However, I fail to understand;

  1) Why this cannot be done with year round school?
  2) Why exclude this experience to just what can be learned on a farm during the summer?

  Best Regards,

  Donovan J Arnold

Kai Eiselein <fotopro63 at hotmail.com> wrote:  Free, Donovan????
  I  think not, my daughter was helping with harvest when she was in third  grade and earning money. I guess learning the value of work and that  cash doesn't magically appear from mom and dad's wallet isn't a lesson?
  She  understands how equipment works, engines run, can build a bookshelf and  can lay down a decent weld, Donovan. And that's not learning?
  Oh,  and lets not bring in the market animals she bought and raised  with the money she earned. I guess learning about profit and loss (Yes  she lost money on a couple) and how to keep financial records doesn't  count in the greater scheme of things.
  She's had the same part-time job for three years, how many high school kids can say the same?

  There are valuable things to learn outside of a classroom, Donovan, something school can't give.... practical experience.

  Maybe student test scores would be higher if they had to use what they learned in  real-life.. before graduating.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com