[Vision2020] Real family values

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Wed May 24 19:46:10 PDT 2006

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060513/
NEWS0503/605130321/1055

Article published May 13, 2006
Elizabeth Wakeman: I don't favor my straight children — and neither
should Idaho

I am the mother of four sons. I love them equally, but they are
different in so many ways. Like most brothers, they do not always get
along, but they love each other very much. We are a family.

I have similar hopes and dreams for all of my sons, despite their
differences. I want them to grow up to be strong. I want them to
stand up for what they believe is right. I want them to be kind and
sympathetic to their fellow citizens. I want them to be happy. I hope
they fall in love, that they find someone with whom they can share
their lives, because sharing my life with another person has enriched
me in so many ways. My husband pushes me to be my best self and
accepts me when I am my worst self. I want them to have that: someone
to care for, and someone to care for them. I want to dance at their
weddings. I want them to bring me grandchildren.
Of course, I don't always get what I want. I accept that my sons,
each of them being so different, may travel different paths in their
lives. They may never fall in love. Even if they do, they may choose
not to marry, or decide not to parent. They may live lives quite
different from my own, and from what I want for them. That is their
right, and I accept it.

I cannot, however, accept that my fellow citizens may vote to
enshrine in our state constitution an amendment saying that two of my
sons may never have what their brothers may have. Two of my sons are
heterosexual. They can marry in the state of Idaho. If their spouse
falls ill, they are guaranteed the right to visit her in the
hospital, participate in conversations with doctors about her care,
and can take time off from work to see her well. And they know their
spouse will have the protections necessary to care for them in the
same situation. They can raise their children as equal partners,
sharing in all of the protections (insurance, leave, inheritance) of
a married family.

Their brothers, though equal in my love, are not equal in the law.
Two of my sons are gay, and many of the protections my heterosexual
sons will have when married are denied to them. They can be kicked
out of a hospital room, even denied the right to make medical
decisions on behalf of their partner, because they aren't "family."
They can lose their property, even their livelihoods, at the sudden
death of their partner, because Idaho inheritance laws do not protect
unmarried relationships. No matter how many years they might be in a
committed relationship, they are, in the eyes of the state, nothing
more than strangers to their partners.

I am told this amendment is necessary to protect families. I look at
my boys and I just don't understand. How can the protection of one
hurt the other? How can denying the rights of two of my sons make the
other two safer? When you go to vote this November, remember my sons.
Remember that the people whose lives you will affect have mothers.
Mothers who are proud of their children, gay or straight, and feel
they all have the right to share their lives with someone they love.
Mothers who want to dance at all their children's weddings.

Elizabeth Wakeman is president of Parents, Family and Friends of
Lesbians and Gays, Treasure Valley Chapter.