[Vision2020] Land Suited for Mixed Use

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed May 24 15:09:26 PDT 2006

>From today's (May 24, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News  with a special thanks
to Mar Jo Hamilton

Land suited for mixed use

Kudos to Moscow's City Council for following the lead of the Planning and
Zoning Commission and denying the rezone of the Thompson property to motor
business. This effectively blocks construction of a Wal-Mart Supercenter as
well as several other big-box stores, the site design that was suggested for
this 77-acre parcel. Those supporting denial of the rezone stated that the
parcel was too large to be zoned motor business, and was the wrong location
for such a large commercial zone.

Those supporting the rezone claimed that property suitable for commercial
development in Moscow is limited. In a sense, I agree with them. However,
property for other uses is limited as well - property for all types of
residences, new schools, playfields, stores owned and operated by local
business people, high tech industries that provide high paying jobs, parks,
recreational trails, churches. Do we want to squander the whole 77 acres on
just one type of use? Fortunately for us, the answer in Moscow is no.

In the next few months I expect to see proposals for new and innovative
mixed-use site plans for the property, ideas that foster communities and
minimize the need for use of automobiles, concepts that enhance Moscow's
livability. Let's provide the Thompsons with some choices that will create a
legacy they can be proud of.

Mary Jo Hamilton, Moscow

As Nils Peterson mentioned earlier, he and I have been discussing this topic
off-list.  I have been suggestive of two options.

Thompson Court:

Extend Alturas Techno Park into the Thompson property, accompanied with a
micro mini-mall (i.e. a restaurant with two or three small stores)

Thompson Field:

Develop the Thompson property into a baseball/soccer sports complex,
accompanied with a micro mini-mall (i.e. a restaurant with two or three
small stores)

In my opinion, either option's potential architecture would enhance the
property and provides for slow incremental growth.

How about it, Moscow?

Thoughts/Ideas/Suggestions?

Let's get some synergy going.

and the REALIST adjusts his sails."