[Vision2020] Re: Here's your coffee Dear, now where's my swift kick?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue May 23 07:41:16 PDT 2006

Wow, Farris,

It must be nice to be able to find time to do a text search of thousands of
past V 2020 postings.  Did you include all posters in your search?  Such a
useful social service.  The poor and the ill will certainly and greatly
benefit from your labors.

Despite Jackie's well-intentioned plea, I expect, when deemed appropriate,
posters will continue to use the "F'" word and others like it on V 2020.  If
parents are afraid that the occasional exposure to "blue" language will
really corrupt their children, then I suspect their parenting priorities may
need revision.  I also suspect that many parents are unaware of the amount
of blue language used even by grade school children from "good" families.

Were I a Christian parent, I would worry more about my children discovering
on V 2020 that supernatural religious belief is a highly suspect,
superstitious fantasy and that the existence of Santa Claus is a more
probable/testable proposition than the existence of some alleged,
ill-defined god.  Further, I would worry that children would find out at a
untenably tender age that some of those elected/appointed to serve us are
liars, cheats, scoundrels, semi-literate, lazy, and much more interested in
their own well being, power and wealth than that of those they are
elected/appointed to serve.  Giving kids such dangerous knowledge could lead
to them to ask questions and to take actions that might eventually result in
(Gasp!) more knowledgeable citizens and less self-interested, more honest
politicians.

For those naive parents that are really concerned that their kids are going
to be hopelessly corrupted by the language on V 2020, filters are available.

Not adult persons all like blue language.  Similarly, I do not like many of
the things said here.  However, I am glad we live in a country where we can
absolutely disagree and not be subject to censorship and penalty.  If you
believe what a person says or the language they use to say it is egregiously
corrupting, filter them.  However, the choice of subjects and the language
used to express opinions on these subjects is one of the most important
freedoms we have and one that is an essential tool in the quest for truth.
We should resist attempts to abrogate that.

Still it is useful tool for understanding the worldview and priorities of
Farris to see that he thinks it important to remind us that the word "fuck"
has now used on V 2020 at least 21 times in the last three years.  Sirraf,
the Goddess of Unemployed Electricians, has certainly bestowed her great
fortune and insight on him.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com