[Vision2020] RE: Tribune uncovers new Moscowpro-growth gro

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Tue May 23 07:25:46 PDT 2006

Whoa Nellie!

Matt, I think you need to stop buying what certain "growth at all costs"
types are selling in their inaccurate smear of the MCA as an organization
favoring no-growth.  We are by no means a "no-growth"-seeking organization.

We seek to bring open public discussion and planning -- long range planning
especially -- back into the process.  We seek to incorporate into our City
better pedestrian and bicycle corridors, sidewalks, mixed uses and cluster
developments that use forward thinking combinations of higher densities, and
more shared, open space.   We seek sustainable community development, not
stagnation.  There is a continuum of positions on the growth spectrum, from
no growth on the one hand to unregulated, absolute power to develop one's
land without regard to the effect on one's neighbors on the other.  MCA is
not for the former;  I would hazard a guess that GMA is not for the latter.
Time will tell.

Up until recently, this City has operated on a basis that had relegated the
zoning code to an advisory document, spot-zoning and re-zoning property
willy-nilly at the request of any developer -- regardless of the conflict
any particular proposal may have had with the Comprehensive Plan.  Evidence
of that sad pattern can be found with the prior council's frittering away of
the West A street commercial property that has been turned into one
apartment complex after another.  The "pro-growth at all costs" crowd
decries the current "lack" of motor business land in the City and uses that
alleged "lack" as a basis for asserting the necessity of re-zoning the
Thompson property.  Those same "pro-growth regardless of the costs" folks
include those who spent much of our best motor business land on short term,
short-sighted, frenzies of granting every request to turn A Street into
apartments  -- in an area that has no adequate pedestrian crossing of the
largest road in our City for the numerous pedestrian students who were
locating in those apartments.

Smart Growth we advocate, not "no growth."  http://www.idahosmartgrowth.org/

The best place for heavy commercial growth was always along the Pullman
Highway and behind Third Street on A, as was set forth in the Comprehensive
Plan.  The recently annexed university-owned land north of the Palouse Mall
is an obvious motor business area, and it serves far wiser planning and
strategic needs by its location as close to Pullman as we can place it,
while retaining a Latah County location.   The good folks of Troy will drive
through Moscow and past our downtown to get to the Moscow motor business
developments near the state line.  The Pullmanites and WSU students,
particularly those using the bus, seem much less likely to drive or hitch a
ride to the far side of eastern Moscow, especially as their choices expand
in Whitman County.

Being opposed to a misguided and ill-conceived, 77 acre motor business
re-zone on the east side of town does not make one anti-growth.  It makes
one opposed to that particular development.

Likewise, as evidenced by prior discussion on this list, expressing concern
and seeking solutions about water usage on the Palouse is not anti-growth.
In fact, it is pro-growth.  The Seattle model, referenced by Nils Peterson
and Mark Solomon on V2020 discussions, is worthy of pursuit here.  Seattle
was able to grow -- substantially -- while actually cutting its water usage
through thoughtful, long-term conservation policies.  We, too, can do the
same.  Given our scarce and declining water supply, why not seek to
implement water conserving policies that will enable future growth, rather
than blindly play a game of chicken with an aquifer of unknown size and
dimensions?  Preserving our water through thoughtful and proven conservation
methods preserves our ability to grow for the long term.  Our County
Commissioners, two of whom are Republicans, have listened and learned from
Diane French, Mark Solomon and others on the water issue, so don't be so
quick to dismiss Diane and Mark as having ideas that take root only on the
left, when the evidence is to the contrary and their hard work on water
management benefits us all.

Personally, I also welcome discussion of a reservoir.  I oppose injection of
the pristine waters of the Grand Ronde aquifer with relatively filthy runoff
from muddy fields laden with various herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers,
and assorted other pollutants.  But opposing injection of the Grand Ronde
does not make me anti-growth, Matt, it makes me opposed to that particular
water management option among a myriad of choices that enhance the
possibility of and favor long-term growth.

I am pro-growth.  Most in the MCA are as well.  Several years ago the MCA
Board took a position favoring growth.  We accepted the Smart Growth model,
and rejected a no growth alternative.  That position has not changed.

We in the MCA welcome the GMA to the discussion; undoubtedly the community
at large does, too.  Informed and open discussion is enlightening and useful
to all.  Overall, my sense is that the Moscow community is glad that the MCA
arrived and changed the discussion from private conversations of a few
policymakers, movers and shakers to a much larger group of people throughout
the community who are all engaged in the discussion.  The GMA will
undoubtedly add its voice to the discussion, which can only be a good thing.
Let the marketplace of ideas percolate and see what happens.  But don't
mis-apprehend the MCA as being anti-growth, for we are not.

Bruce Livingston

Matt Decker said:
| Remember this(GMA) group was established because of the Mark Solomans,
Diane