[Vision2020] Re: Here's your coffee Dear, now where's my swift kick?

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon May 22 23:45:47 PDT 2006

On 5/22/06, J Ford <privatejf32 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, for the sake of those of us who do not actually use or spell out in
> force the words, can you consider cleaning your language up just a bit?

As a forewarning, a few of the following sentences might contain what
some would consider vulgar language.

When is a swear word a swear word?  When it has been decided, by some
mysterious process, that a certain word, in some ineffable way, is
socially inappropriate or "naughty."  Usually this word, or these
words, have something to do with genitals, or the process of
elimination, or sexual congress.

"Shit" is a bad word, but paradoxically "crap," "turd," and "poop"
aren't (if they are, they are bad to to a lesser extent).  The words
all have the same essential meaning, and they contain the same number
of letters, so isn't it ridiculous to relegate some words to a special
list of arbitrary naughtiness?

I hate any word used as verbal punctuation, and that is the only
manner in which profanity disturbs me.  I am as irritated by the words
"ya know" inserted repeatedly into conversation as I am by the word
"fuck" used in the same thoughtless way.  Both are entirely divorced
from meaning by their repetition.

I don't need to use profanity to insult someone, but sometimes "stupid fucker"
is the superior option.  For instance, when insulting a dullard who
wouldn't recognize a lovingly crafted insult even if his mother was on
the receiving end.

Anyway, that's just my .02 cents worth.