[Vision2020] Stout Not Wrong n Union Support / Police Union StandNot a Conflict

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon May 22 19:28:42 PDT 2006

One MAJOR problem that the Moscow Police Department is experiencing is lack
of continuity.  After a year officers tend to pack up and move to "greener
pastures", primarily due to wages/salaries that are not competitive (here in
Moscow) with other comparably-sized community police departments.
Ultimately this results in loss of quality police officers.

Establishing a police union will ensure the rights and privileges for our
police department; rights and privileges that have up until just recently
received nothing more than lip service from our city council.

Once continuity is established, the community becomes familiar with members
of its police force.  The community gains first name familiarity with the
officers responsible for protecting its streets.  This level of familiarity
breeds a relationship where police officers become very approachable.

I could go on and on about how such a relationship benefits the
neighborhoods, but I am sure you get the picture already.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown