[Vision2020] Tribune uncovers new Moscow pro-growth group

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Mon May 22 13:50:16 PDT 2006

Bill,
You're right that everyone has their own concepts on "positive
community-minded growth."  I think too many of Moscow's business leaders
have (and continue to) lined their own pockets without any realistic notion
as to what they are doing to & for the community.  I don't know what
approach GMA is going to have for their concept and they may follow the same
lost patterns as other economic development groups, typical local
developers, and most government entities.  If they are literate enough, they
will READ Community, SEE Community needs and UNDERSTAND what Community
development really is.  I've looked at their website and understand who is
involved on the Board.  At this point, I don't know what they group-think,
but time will expose what GMA understands OF the community and does FOR the
community.

I hope to see development that is different from what has occured in the
past, as there is shamefully little past development that has been
community-minded.  Development, only by it's historic capitalistic nature,
is developer & economically driven.  That model has give the U.S. the
souless living & working environments it now enjoys.  But why should the
financial risk-taker (developer) do anything different to jeapodize economic
success?  Very few are willing to work outside of tested models to bring
better quality.  It might be because of the increased financial risks,
ignorant public resistance, working through unadaptive ordinances, more
restrictive processes, or plain disinterest.

There are so many stubborn entrenchments in the existing processes that need
change to give positive direction.  To change the model into one that
naturally INCLUDES community (is community-MINDED), all parties need to
participate in sharing the risks (and rewards.)  What incentives could be
implemented to change the model into one that does this?  Financial
contributions could come from a variety of community sources (Food Co-Op
model) to dilute risk, the Community could be a partner to identify a need
and guarantee occupancy & project success, other fractional ownerships could
provide incentives for mulitple-owners to attract needed "industry" to town
(similar to Alturus, but with greater community-mindedness), there are many
options available if parties are open to changning their mindsets.

The problem is not growth itself, the problem is quality(ies).  Quality of
process, quality of restriction, quality of incentive, and more - all adding
up to quality of community.  There are so many good things that Moscow can
make for itself (some are examples such as you & Keely cite.)  All Community
partners government, business, & citizen) need to understanding what they
have really been doing within the existing processes; understand what the
Community needs; and all parties need to learn how to get from here to there
by changing the processes to make community development work
collaboratively.

Mark