[Vision2020] When Moscow Doubles -Transportation

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Mon May 22 12:01:21 PDT 2006

Whether the growth rate is 1% or the population doubles, Moscow is
going to have to rethink its transportation network and how it is
constructed. During the part of my lifetime that I can remember (as
in the when Fairgrounds were out in the "country"), Moscow has not
added any East-West or North-South connectivity, except for a few
short stretches such as Quail Run and Rodeo Drive. Instead, the City
has allowed disconnected rabbit warrens in neighborhoods.
Improvements of arterials and connectors (except for Mountain View)
are done piecemeal with the poor soul who owns property next to the
right-of-way footing the bill for his/her half of the street. If
there is no development on the abutting property, the street isn't
improved, regardless of the need (see North Polk for a prime
example). Addressing the issues by single-site "improvements" (such
as the proposed 3rd Street Bridge) only shift the burden rather than
solving the problem.

This approach does not produce a viable transportation system that
allows all residents to go from point-A to point-B efficiently and
safely. The only viable solution is to plan AND produce--in other
words, the City needs to make adequate streets happen.

That means we, the taxpayers, will need to reach into our pockets and
pay the big bucks growing the transportation network will cost. Are
we willing and able?

Kit Craine