[Vision2020] The 2006 Preakness Stakes

April Fingerlos Aprilf at fingerlos.net
Sun May 21 08:54:09 PDT 2006

Not as much as it used to be, but in this particular case, yes. A
condylar fracture is usually quite repairable, but when it's coupled
with the phalanx fracture, and both fractures are in shattered pieces
(still running on the leg will do that, but it's not like physics gave
him a choice), this can destroy the channel the blood vein uses.

If the blood flow is disrupted too long, or the artery is beyond
repair, he'll likely be put down. The blood is pumped back up the leg by
the beating of the hoof on the ground (via the frog), and, if it can't
reach the hoof due to the fracture, it can't be pumped back up again,
creating a whole host of secondary issues. A horse carries 2/3 of their
weight on their front legs at rest. Amputation of the affected leg is
not an option--the other leg is not designed to carry that entire
2/3rds.

www.bloodhorse.com is following the injury and surgery, which is
scheduled for today. It'll have more info.

My last gelding broke his leg (left forearm, 4 inches above the knee)
while he was on the coast for training. He was back into training 5
months later, and is now a two-time world champion. His break was clean,
with no bone fragments, and no where near a blood supply. He went
through hydrotherapy (swimming and trotting on an underwater treadmill)
as part of his therapy. Thank goodness for insurance! :-)

April

April Fingerlos
Moscow, ID

On 5/20/06, Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:

> As Barbaro left the gates, for the start of the 131st running of the
> Preakness Stakes, he suffered what may be a life-threatening injury
to his
> right rear leg.

A broken leg is life-threatening in a horse?!?

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com