[Vision2020] Iran Was A Democracy Pre-CIA Coup

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat May 20 15:08:49 PDT 2006

Tom et. al.

The Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi labels the government of Iran,
before the CIA sponsored imposition of the Shah, a "democracy."  The current
government of Iran might not be as anti-US, and might be more democratic at
this moment, were it not for the US imposition of the dictatorship of the
Shah.

"...as she describes her story, starting with Iran's democracy under Prime
Minister Mohammad Mossadegh. That golden era ended when Mohammad Reza
Pahlavi, the shah, overthrew the popular, elected government."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/270023_trahant14.html

There's a new book that does just that. "Iran Awakening: A Memoir of
Revolution and Hope" may be the most important book you could read this year
because it gives context to the debate about Iran, its nuclear program and a
potential war. Shirin Ebadi, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, and a lawyer,
longtime Iranian human rights activist and a well-known dissident, wrote it.
She was in Seattle last week talking about the book and her work.

"Though words are peaceful weapons, over the past 15 years, I have been
harassed, threatened and jailed in the course of defending human rights and
victims of violence in Iran," Ebadi writes. "I wanted to write a book that
would help correct Western stereotypes of Islam, especially the image of
Muslim women as docile, forlorn creatures."

Her words are not docile at all, and are often brutal, as she describes her
story, starting with Iran's democracy under Prime Minister Mohammad
Mossadegh. That golden era ended when Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, the shah,
overthrew the popular, elected government. One of the prime minister's
actions -- nationalizing Iran's oil industry -- was seen as a threat to the
West. "This bold move, which upset the West's calculations in the oil-rich
Middle East, earned Mossadegh the eternal adoration of Iranians who viewed
him as the father figure, much as Mahatma Gandhi was revered in India."

Vision2020 Post by Ted Moffett