[Vision2020] Rendezvous Showcase

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Fri May 19 15:19:50 PDT 2006

The Rendezvous in the Park Board of Directors invite you and your friends to the Rendezvous fundraiser at the Kenworthy Theater tomorrow (Saturday) night, May 20 from 7 -10 PM for three hours of music from six different local bands.  Three of the bands will be selected to open the Rendezvous concerts set for July 20-22.  Admission is $10.  Beer and wine contributed by Mikey's Gyros.

Desserts sold by the Moscow High School Band will benefit the MHS Band.

Attendees vote for their favorite band to determine which bands will open at Rendezvous.   Of the three bands that will be chosen to open the Rendezvous summer concert series, two will be selected by the vote of the audience in atttendance.  The third will be selected by the Rendezvous Board.

Rendezvous Showcase is sponsored by Border 104.

The following link to Rendezvous's web site provides links to the three headliners for this summer's concerts, as well as web site links and information about the six bands at Rendezvous Showcase.

http://www.moscowmusic.com/Rendezvous/

Bruce Livingston,
on behalf of the Rendezvous Board

>From the Pulse section of yesterday's Moscow-Pullman Daily News:

Friendly battle for the spotlight

Six regional bands compete for chance to play at Moscow’s Rendezvous event

By Alexis Bacharach Daily News staff writer
Published: 05-18-2006

They call it a battle of the bands, but all the bands competing in this year’s Rendezvous People’s Choice Showcase are cheering for each other.

“Moscow’s a really nice community and they want everything to be fair,” said 19-year-old Eric Anderson, one of six local acts in Saturday’s competition. “Even at the high school we had an arts fest as opposed to a battle of the bands. It was an awesome experience for kids who play guitar quietly in their room to perform in front of their friends at school.”

When he learned he was in the running as an opening act for the Rendezvous summer concert series, Anderson immediately went online to check out his competition — Bare Wires, Steptoe, Full Circle, the Shook Twins and Beth Pederson.

“The first thing you do is look them up, and see if you can find out what they sound like,” he said. “But really, that’s where it ends. There’s no cutthroat competition here. I’m just really curious to hear the other guys play.”

Anderson couldn’t assign his music a specific category. His songs feature a combination of styles influenced by such artists as Elvis Costello and The Band.

“If you listen to some of the downloads on my Web site I’ve got lots of weird home recorded music,” he said. “My goal has been to do something creative with my music.”

The Rendezvous board of directors started the People’s Choice Showcase last year to promote local talent and raise money to help fund the group’s annual concert series at East City Park in Moscow.

Each act is given 30 minutes on stage.

The audience will select two acts and the Rendezvous board of directors will select a third to perform in July.

“Rendezvous always attracts nationally renowned performers, but we thought it would be great to include an additional act each night with local music,” Rendezvous board member Dianne Daley Laursen said. “We think it’s really important to promote our local musicians.”

Bob Andrade, the drummer for Bare Wires, said he appreciates the exposure and opportunity to perform with touring acts from around the country.

“We don’t look at it as competition,” he said. “We are all artists presenting our artistic endeavors. There is an equal appreciation for the music amongst the musicians.”

He said it’s a great event for artists as well as for community members, who get to see the diversity of music that’s developing locally.

This year’s acts range from bluegrass funk to rock ’n’ roll.

Bare Wires is all about the decibel level.

“We like playing really loud,” guitarist and song writer Guy Knudsen said. “If your pants aren’t flapping, your music’s not happening.”

Whether they make it to Rendezvous or not, the members of Bare Wires said they’re always grateful for the opportunity to nab some new fans.

“It’s a great crowd,” Knudsen said. “And we have a good time doing the show.”

Tina Hilding, of the band Steptoe, feels the same way about the event.

“We really believe in supporting Rendezvous,” she said. “They do so much for the community and local artists. I don’t think people realize how much work it is to put something like Rendezvous together.”

If anything, she said, participating in the People’s Choice Showcase is just a way Steptoe can repay Rendezvous for all its hard work.

“It’s hard to get money and volunteers for the arts,” she said. “We want to encourage people to come spend their money and support Rendezvous.”

Her husband, Von Walden, who plays acoustic guitar for Steptoe, said last year’s showcase was a good time for everyone involved. All the musicians were top-notch, he added.

“You really see how many talented people there are in this community,” he said. “The voting had to be really close last year, that’s how good everyone was.”

He’s pretty sure he knows which act will collect the most votes this year, but he’s keeping it under his hat.

“Everybody is there to have fun. That’s the main thing,” he said. “We really don’t think about the competition.”

If you go

* What: Second Annual Rendezvous People's Choice Showcase.

* When: 7 p.m. Saturday at the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre in Moscow.

* Admission: Tickets are $10 at the door.

Alexis Bacharach can be reached
at (208) 882-5561, ext. 238, or
by e-mail at arts at dnews.com.