[Vision2020] My gay agenda (again)

melynda at moscow.com melynda at moscow.com
Wed May 17 09:20:02 PDT 2006

Gary asserts that straights are, if anything, less protected than gays
under the law.  Actually, that's not quite right.

1.  At present, in Idaho, it is perfectly legal to discriminate in
employment against gays for no reason other than their sexual
orientation.  Gary is free not only to refuse to hire gay people, but to
fire an employee solely on account of his or her sexual orientation, and
will face no legal problem whatsoever.  The same is not true for straight
people.

2.  Sexual orientation is not protected under Idaho hate and bias laws.
There's no "extra" penalty for gay-bashing. The hate crime laws *do*
protect people of all races: it's just as illegal to go out looking for
white people to bash as it is Latinos, Arabs, or Blacks.  As for the
added penalty, it's there because there's something particularly,
egregiously awful about assaulting someone simply because they belong to
some group, just as there are worse penalties for first-degree murder
than for involuntary manslaughter.  (There aren't many straight-bashing
reported nationally--but get a load of the UCR stats on gay-bashing.)

3.  There are more than one thousand legal rights and responsibilities
associated with marriage which are specifically limited to straight
people (says the GAO). Every drunken fool who marries a relative stranger
in Las Vegas and gets a divorce six weeks later has those rights and
responsibilities.  After fifteen years of partnership--five years longer
than the average first marriage in the U.S.--I can't get those rights and
responsibilities; in fact, I'm specifically prohibited by Idaho law from
getting them.

I could go on and on . . . but I won't. Gay and lesbian people are not
equally treated under the law.  You may be glad this is the case, but
please don't add false information about the special privileges we enjoy
to the indignities we already experience.

Melynda
Huskey