[Vision2020] Summer Reading Was:The little gray cells (areturningto mush)

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue May 16 14:30:45 PDT 2006

This summer I wanted to review "How the Scotts Invented the Modern World" by
Herman; I skimmed that a few years ago and enjoyed it: it's historically
packed but was enjoyable.  C.S. Lewis' "Till We Have Faces" is one of my
favorites, and I believe was Lewis' favorite; and if I may offer a third:
Carl Becker's "The Heavenly City of the 18th Century Philosophers"-a fun,
short series of lectures delivered to Yale Law School in the 30s.

Chas, I wouldn't mind a brief summary of Dennett's argument from that book.

Michael

Currently reading "The Professors" by David Horowitz

Dick

> I can recommend Breaking the Spell, by Daniel Dennett.  It is a

> thought-provoking read, beautifully written, regardless of your

> feelings about the conclusions of the author.

> Hey, I have an idea!

> I'd bet that most of the contributors to Vision2020 are at least

> nominally literate, which should mean that they like to read.

> Come on, Visioneers, what is on your recommend reading list for this

summer?