[Vision2020] Statesman: GOP House candidates answer questions

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sun May 14 09:06:35 PDT 2006

U.S. House candidates on the issues
 From taxes to land management and beyond, the Republicans make a
pitch for your votes

Edition Date: 05-14-2006

What should we do about federal taxes?

Brandt: "We should look at a flat tax and abolish the IRS."

Johnson: "I oppose tax increases because it excuses irresponsible
spending habits ... and allows big government to grow."

Sali: "I will vote to reduce taxes at every turn and will work to
lower spending."

Semanko: "I would be interested in looking at either a flat tax or a
national sales tax."

Sorensen: "First, I would make President Bush's tax cuts permanent.
We will not increase revenue over the long run without economic
growth, and tax cuts generally create economic growth."

Vasquez: "I would consider a flat-tax option only with the
elimination of exemptions ... (including) the exemptions for
illegal-alien foreign nationals filing in U.S.A."

How should we address the deficit?

Brandt: "The appropriations process should focus on America's needs
and not the world's wants. The 35,000 D.C. lobbyists should not be
allowed to have their clients' private projects funded through
appropriation earmarks."

Johnson: "We must eliminate pork projects from the federal budget,
establish line-item veto authority for the president, and reform
entitlement programs that are on a collision course with bankruptcy."

Sali: "I will co-sponsor a balanced-budget amendment. Approximately
30 percent of Medicaid costs can be saved by transforming it into a
community-health-center-style ... program."

Semanko: "I also want to see a balanced-budget amendment to the
Constitution adopted. ... Such an amendment will force Congress to
set priorities and spend only the money that is needed for the most
important programs."

Sorensen: "To balance the budget, we need to cut spending - plain and
simple. A deficit of $8.2 trillion is unacceptable. To cut spending,
we need to put everything on the table."

Vasquez: "Re-evaluate foreign aid expenditures and contributions to
the United Nations efforts."

How should we manage lands?

Brandt: "The states should be given the ability to manage their own
air, water, land and wildlife including endangered species."

Johnson: "I have consistently worked for forest-health improvement,
sustainable grazing and recreational access to public lands. I oppose
the sale of federal lands to balance the budget. I support reform of
the Endangered Species Act."

Sali: "Federal laws such as the National Environmental Policy and
Endangered Species acts should be amended to protect private-property
rights and recognize that human beings are important species too."

Semanko: "The federal government needs to be a better manager of the
lands, and it needs to allow for multiple use of our federal lands.
Idaho is a growing state, and we need to make sure we protect the
land for the people, not from the people."

Sorensen: "We need more state control of our environment, and less
control from the federal government. Badly written environmental
laws, such as the Endangered Species Act, have hit many communities
like a wrecking ball."

Vasquez: "The federal government's role in state land issues should
be severely curtailed."

Do you support the Owyhee and Boulder-White Clouds proposals?

Brandt: "Each state is unique and the federal government's
one-size-fits-all rules do not work. We can protect our environment
and use it responsibly."

Johnson: "Proposals like (these) should be decided with local
representation and must ensure private-property rights are protected."

Sali: "I do not support additional wilderness in the Boulder-White
Clouds Mountains and am not yet convinced of the need for additional
lockup of the Owyhee Canyonlands."

Semanko: "I believe that negotiations on the Boulder-White Clouds
need to continue; I am opposed to the current legislation. As far as
the Owyhee Canyon lands, it is too soon to comment on legislation
that has not been introduced yet."

Sorensen: "I'll reserve my opinion on wilderness until I see the
final product, but I support the collaborative efforts initiated by
Rep. Simpson and Sen. Crapo."

Vasquez: "Idaho does not need more land designated 'pristine
wilderness' that results in its becoming inaccessible for Idahoans to
use or harvest natural land and forest resources."

Why are you the best choice?

Brandt: "I am the only small businessman in the race and have both
the common sense and the proven leadership track record to
effectively serve the constituents of the 1st District. I will always
place America first and the needs of the 1st District above anything
else. I am a responsible conservative who does not 'go along to get
along' yet accomplishes things for my constituents."

Johnson: "As a member of Idaho's leadership team, I best reflect the
ideals and values of the 1st Congressional District. In my
professional career I've helped solve the savings-and-loan crisis,
helped fix the largest municipal bankruptcy in the U.S., and helped
Oklahoma City recover after the bombing of the Murrah Building."

Sali: "My 16-year-record in the Legislature proves I am a true
conservative who leads on conservative issues. ... My record also
proves I fight against politics as usual and have the backbone to
stand firm for what I believe is right."

Semanko: "I am the only candidate who has worked in Congress, having
worked for Sen. Larry Craig. I am the only candidate with meaningful
federal land-management-law experience. I am the only candidate who
has worked and lived in both North Idaho and Southern Idaho. I am
also the only candidate who is not a professional politician."

Sorensen: "What separates me is my level of experience. During my 17
years in the Legislature, I've worked with others, built coalitions
and sponsored key bills. My peers elected me to leadership and I've
chaired key committees. ... I can work well with our congressional
delegation and be effective in Congress from Day 1."

Vasquez: "My opponents have now followed my lead in fighting the
illegal-alien invasion. Regrettably for them, they failed to do
anything about it when they had the chance."