[Vision2020] Saint Lot, Child Abuse, and Incest

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Mon May 8 12:06:54 PDT 2006

Greetings:

A question was posed about bestiality and incest, and I have two quick observations.

In 1973 the Texas Legislature decriminalized heterosexual anal and oral sex as well as bestiality.  The fact that it still made these acts criminal for gays and lesbians was struck down as unconstitutional by the most recent Supreme Court decision on sodomy.

Today, not far from where we think the ancient cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were located, there is a small shrine dedicated to Saint Lot.  I believe that the Greek Orthodox Church canonized him, but for what reason?  Was it because it gave his two daughters over to the men of Sodom who wanted to rape the two angelic visitors? (How do you have sex with an angel?  The missionary position would problably not be advisable.) Or was it because he then had so little control over his daughters that they gave him enough wine so that they seduced him into sexual relations with him?  Was this a severe case of contributing to the delinquincy of minors that was somehow overlooked by God and by the Greek Orthodox Church?  Is this good reading for our children?  I would also ban reading for children the horrible story in Judges 19.

Nick Gier