[Vision2020] A Salute to Steak (and much, much more)

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Fri May 5 11:58:49 PDT 2006

Dear Visionaries:

I wanted to draw your attention to an excellent grilling book I found
at Moscow Building Supply the other day.  It's called "Command of the
Grill: A Salute to Steak."  It's an excellent cookbook, only costs $10,
and all proceeds go to charities that "directly benefit wounded or
killed U. S. Marines and their families."  Some of those charities are:

Wounded Warrior Project
Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund
Fisher House
Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation

The recipes were collected via grilling competitions sponsored by Weber
in 2005; the contestants were all active duty and reserve Marines.
I've already tried one of the recipes -- it was terrific -- but another
interesting feature of the book are profiles in the margins of famous
Marines.  I had no idea that Lee Trevino had been in the Corps, or Art
Donovan, Jr., Jo Jo White, Bum Phillips, Tom Seaver, and Wilford
Brimley (the oatmeal guy).  Perhaps the biggest shock was George Jones,
one of my all-time favorite singers -- with or without the late Tammy
Wynette.  And here's a stunner for you -- Ed McMahon, Johnny Carson's
sidekick and the Publisher's Clearing House spokesman, was Marine Corps
pilot in WWII and Korea who flew 85 combat missions and retired with
the rank of full bird Colonel.  Amazing stuff.

Please, consider buying the book.  You can get ready for summer, get
some great recipes, and at the same time help our wounded men and women
coming home and the families of those who have suffered unspeakable
loss.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com