[Vision2020] The immigration debate

Melynda Huskey melynda at moscow.com
Thu May 4 21:14:30 PDT 2006

Scott Dredge wrote:
> A specific problem statement or two would go a long way in helping
> with this debate.  So far I've seen a lot of statements like "no doubt
> there is a problem" and "the problem is getting bigger and bigger".
> Can we restart the debate with the top 2 or 3 biggest perceived
> specific problems with illegal immigration and take it from there?
A great source of information about current immigration debate is the
Pew Hispanic Center, which has some very recent reports on the
demography of unauthorized migrants--for example, did you know that 25%
of unauthorized migrants have attended college?  Or that they accounted
for "about 4.9% of the civilian labor force. They made up a large share
of all workers in a few more detailed occupational categories, including
24% of all workers employed in farming occupations, 17% in cleaning, 14%
in construction and 12% in food preparation. "

http://pewhispanic.org/

I've learned a tremendous amount from reviewing the site, and I highly
recommend it.

Melynda

P.S.  Dick, I know this recommendation of a fact-filled resource will
freshly inflame you.  As a favor to the rest of the list, just send the
screed to me.  No need to tell everybody else once again that you
despise liberal elitists with information.