FW: [Vision2020] Dear President Bush

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed May 3 21:53:51 PDT 2006

Andreas wrote:

Because an American is something you can become, unlike a Frenchman or a
Briton
or a German, I'm an American today -- and I don't believe that now
that I've got mine, we should lock down the borders.
----
France, Britain and Germany sometimes allow immigrants to become citizens of
those countries, just as well as the USA does.  I must have missed your
meaning.  Could you clarify?

Some thoughts on this issue:

http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/chapters/i7203.html

In sum, this book explores the state's capacity to negotiate identities. The
"negotiation of identities" provides a model of development common to all
democratic countries no matter what their definition of the nation and their
principles of citizenship. For democratic states, negotiations are a way to
deal with the unexpected consequences of immigration. In Germany the guest
workers (*Gastarbeiter*) are now there to stay, and they claim the right of
citizenship. In France, although most of the young generation of North
African origin do have French citizenship, they now also express their
allegiance to a state of origin. This has led Germany to policies of
integration (*Integrationspolitik*) rather than policies for foreigners (*
Ausländerpolitik*). France has fashioned new targeted measures and a new
vocabulary addressing integration rather than assimilation. Therefore,
unlike republic, unity, and equality--the ideas that made the European
nation-states and engendered the construction of national models--the
general tendency now is to maintain identities by managing them: immigrants'
identities and national identities. Guided by pragmatism, such an approach
helps manage the contradictions between myth and reality, discourse and
action, ideas and facts.1
Ted Moffett