[Vision2020] Unfunded Water Liability was re: Water-Mart

Nils Peterson nilsp at moscow.com
Tue May 2 16:36:42 PDT 2006

On 5/2/06 4:09 PM, "deaconjames at verizon.net" wrote:

So I read this in the paper today: „Diane French of the Palouse Water
Conservation District said retail development at the proposed scale
would increase water use in Moscow by about 7.6 percent, a violation
of the 1 percent annual growth limit.‰

Is this true? 7.6%? That figure seems awfully high. I don‚t see how a
Super Wal-Mart would use too much more water than the regular Wal-
Mart we already have, and Icertainly can‚t see it using 1/13th of the
total water consumed in Moscow.

--
I believe that this figure was based on the Developer's proposal,
where they chose to describe a full build-out at 1.5 million sq ft of

More interesting in Diane's testimony, and easy to lose in the list
of numbers she read was a concept: Unfunded Water Liability.  The
idea is that there are unbuilt lots in the city (annexed, zoned,
platted, and ready to be built) that are each entitled to hook to
city utilities with no further review other than a building permit.

Diane examined the residential lots, because the water use of the
unbuilt commercial lots is harder to predict (compare restaurant to
auto parts store for possible water demand). Counting the unbuilt
residential lots, and examining the zoning for each lot, Diane's
report computed the water that those lots could claim -- the
"unfunded liability"

Those on this list who like to problemitize things will enjoy
thinking about Diane's data being based on the most recent tax data,
which might miss buildings now under construction, lots that have
been created since the last tax update, lots that are underbuilt
relative to their zoning (eg one residence on an R4), and other
problems with getting perfect data.

But, problems aside, Diane found 19% unfunded water demand from those
residential lots. Look for Diane's testimony to be posted here soon:
http://nosuperwalmart.com

Now, dear reader, return to our previous water discussion. Consider
the options we have to secure that water: Lake Carscallen,
pressurized irrigation, grey water reclamation, and conservation. In
that former conversation, the conservation options included ideas
like securing water for new development by retrofitting existing
wasteful water appliances elsewhere.

What shall we do to address this problem?