[Vision2020] message bounces and unsubscribes

Bill London london at moscow.com
Tue May 2 11:03:59 PDT 2006

Roger Falen recently posted (reprinted below) about his problems with his
V2020 subscription cancelled due to too many bounces.

I have been trying to understand this problem, and now think I have some
comprehension of the issues.

This excessive bounce problem only happens to V2020 members who subscribe
through their <turbonet.com> accounts.  The reason is that turbonet includes
a spam filter that allows individuals to "blacklist" addressess.  However,
when an address is blacklisted by a turbonet account, access to all turbonet
accounts is blocked and the turbonet account will not accept the mail.  That
is a significant difference from the spam filters used by other service
providers (like yahoo, earthlink, hotmail, etc).

Here's a little background info to help you make sense of this.  When anyone
posts a message to V2020, to increase efficiency, the message is not sent
individually to each of the 500 accounts.  The computers seek groups of
subscribers who have addresses at a single domain (like turbonet.com).  So,
messages are sent from from V2020 to everyone in the group of the dozen or
so addresses at turbonet all at one time.

Put the blacklist function together with the group mailing function and you
can see the problem.  When anyone with a turbonet address blacklists V2020,
all V2020 messages to all turbonet accounts bounce back, and ultimately, all
turbonet subscribers get the "you are unsubscribed due to excessive bounces"
message.

V2020 members can resubscribe following the blacklist bounce, but if any one
turbonet subscriber adds V2020 to the blacklist, the problem happens again.
Of course, the moral of the story is that turbonet subscribers should not
add V2020 to their blacklist.  However with V2020, new people are joining
all the time, and this problem continues to reoccur.

The options for V2020 subscribers include using a non-turbonet account,
getting turbonet to configure their spam filter to end this blacklist
function for V2020, or just expecting to resubscribe periodically.  Too bad
there is no easy answer.
BL