[Vision2020] The Friday Letter from UI President White (March 31, 2006)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 31 05:26:44 PST 2006

Today's (March 31, 2006) Friday Letter from UI President White -

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
March 31, 2006

Dear Friends,

Today is Vandal Friday on our campus, and it is a record event. I'm
delighted to welcome more than 1,000 high school seniors and their parents
from Idaho and the Northwest to the University of Idaho. These prospective
students and their parents are looking for a university that is the "right
fit" for their future, and this is our opportunity to introduce them to this
extraordinary institution and our outstanding academic programs and
residential campus. A campus visit is a critical element in the process of
choosing a college, and our doors are open to meet their hopes and
aspirations.

If these future students are looking for role models, they only need to look
at the University of Idaho. This week, Karen and I hosted receptions for two
groups of students who are role models for all of us. On Tuesday, we honored
nearly 60 current students who are veterans of military service in Iraq and
Afghanistan. Many are members of the Idaho National Guard who were called to
duty 18 months ago, and now have returned to resume their college studies.
Other veterans at the University are just now starting college careers. We
also held a special event to honor students who spent their spring break in
Mississippi to assist in the continuing relief efforts from last fall's
hurricanes.

We take great pride in honoring these students for their selfless
contributions, and we value the experiences and perspectives they bring to
our campus. The quality of our students is reflected in more than their
notable academic achievements.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:
Three finalists have been selected in the College of Education dean search
at the University of Idaho. Paul Rowland, Carole de Casal and Penny Hammrich
will interview in Coeur d'Alene, Moscow and Boise in the coming weeks.
Rowland currently is dean of the School of Education at the University of
Montana; de Casal is assistant dean for advanced licensure and degree
programs in professional education units at the University of Southern
Mississippi; and Hammrich serves as dean and tenured professor of education
at Queens College of the City University of New York. Candidate vitas and
complete itineraries are available on the provost's Web site at
www.provost.uidaho.edu.

"Community Justice: Exploring Possibilities," a symposium organized by the
Idaho Law Review, an all-student organization at the University of Idaho
College of Law, will take place 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on April 14 at the
Doubletree Riverside Hotel in Boise. Community groups, judges, attorneys,
law enforcement officers, tribal officials, students, scholars and the
general public are invited to attend the symposium.
Register for the symposium at www.lawreview.uidaho.edu/symposium/.

Wayne 62', 65' and Peggy 65' Thiessen, longtime UI supporters, are
challenging others to donate to either the C. Edmond Lewis scholarship or a
newly created graduate student scholarship. Both scholarships benefit
students in the Soil and Land Resources Division of the College of
Agricultural and Life Sciences. The Thiessens will match up to $10,000 on
all gifts made before July 1, 2006. According to the Thiessens, "The College
of Agricultural and Life Sciences has been an important contributor to our
lives and careers, and we are pleased to be able to support these
scholarships to aid students with the ever-increasing costs of college." For
more information about scholarships for students at the College of
Agricultural and Life Sciences, contact Mary Hasenoehrl at (208) 885-6681 or
donate online at www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96

and the Realist adjusts his sails."