[Vision2020] Atwood Letter Rewritten

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 15:11:23 PST 2006

As posted on poohsthink.com (this is NOT just a NSA-only issue - it IS a
MOSCOW COMMUNITY issue - please take the time to talk to the merchants
downtown and see how they feel.  All we hear is how Atwood and the NSA kids
feel.  No one, including and especially the BOA, is listening to the people
who live/work in the CBD.):

March 30, 2006

Downtown Merchants

Central Business Zoning District

Moscow, Idaho 83843

Dear President Atwood:

On behalf of the downtown merchants, we’re writing to confront you about
your decision to occupy Friendship Square without a zoning certificate and
without offering any mitigation for your detrimental impact, to ask you to
apologize formally, and to make full restitution as appropriate.

Since, in fact, you occupied the Skattaboe Block without the requisite
documentation, you need to do two things at the very least. First, you
should apologize personally to your neighbors, who work very hard to
maintain their daily businesses and treat everyone — including you — fairly
and honestly according to the Zoning Code, for your inappropriate,
unilateral decision to invade the Central Business District. And second,
since you have not yet paid and contributed anything toward parking
mitigation, you should do so immediately to make full restitution for
essentially robbing your neighbors and stealing from those businesses who
have conducted themselves lawfully, according to the Zoning Code. Those who
moved in legally had every right and expectation of not having an
overcrowded parking lot. Your decision to crash the zone was not only wrong
but rude, so as merchants we ask you to confess it, apologize, and pay an
extra amount because of your non-conforming use.

Perhaps there were mitigating circumstances surrounding your occupation that
would change or correct this perspective, but at this point, with two
previous zoning violations under your belt, it doesn’t look good. Let us
know if this is incorrect. Barring that, please reconcile yourself to these
retail establishments in a way befitting an institution that names Christ.
Make full restitution to your neighbors.

We are delighted you were so anxious to occupy Friendship Square, but next
time we urge you to obey the law of the land with the respect and honor it
deserves.

Sincerely,

Downtown Merchants

PS: "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (Matthew 22:39)

J  :|