[Vision2020] maybe we're not a 3rd world colony anymore

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Wed Mar 29 17:28:25 PST 2006

This just in from the Idaho Conservation League, the voice for
environmental conservation in the Idaho Legislature (an often
thankless task....)

Mark Solomon

Huge Victory For Clean Air and Clean Water in Idaho!
Sempra is abandoning its plans to build a coal-fired power plant in Idaho
Usually, we send alerts so you can take action to prevent a threat to
our clean air, clean water, wildlife, and quality of life. Today, we
have exciting news to share, and its thanks to you and many Idahoans
for speaking up and saying "no" to coal-fired power plants in our
community!

Sempra Generation (a San Diego based company) abandoned its plans to
build a 600-megawatt coal fired power plant in Jerome, Idaho and the
State Legislature passed a two-year moratorium on the permitting of
coal fired power plants in Idaho.

This is a tremendous victory for all Idaho families concerned about
the human health impacts and environmental impacts that a large coal
burning power plant would have. Thanks to the to the good action of
the Idaho Legislature, Idaho will not become an energy colony -- our
air, our water and the health of our communities will not be
sacrificed to generate electricity for other states.

We look forward to working with the state to develop a comprehensive
energy plan that will provide a guide for thoughtful energy
development in Idaho. The moratorium will allow Idaho to review and
hopefully strengthen its laws governing power plants.