[Vision2020] school facilities discussion

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Mar 29 10:08:56 PST 2006

Debbie, Keely, Jack, et al,

We (my wife and I) have generally been very supportive of public education.
We have both benefited greatly from it.  We believe that a well-designed
public education program is an absolutely essential part of a participatory
democracy and a competitive country in the global marketplace [now more than
ever].

Having said that, I will now be a curmudgeon again:

I think the school administration and school board is off on the wrong track
again.  Debbie's and Jack Porter's posts are evidence of that.  Getting off
on the wrong track this time is angering even more of those who might
otherwise be supportive of public education.

In a nutshell:  Why hasn't there been a truly exhaustive effort to involve
the public in the creating/casting of the alternatives for consideration
before running a survey with a restricted menu of choices selected by a
relatively few?  After the last bond failure, I would have thought that the
issues raised and opinions expressed should have sent a strong signal to the
administrators and board that they are divorced from and mistrusted by a
significant part of the public.

It would have taken an admittedly great effort, but the board could have
found enough volunteers to conduct and to strongly encourage participation
in a series of ongoing neighborhood meetings designed meaningfully to
solicit ideas, to disseminate information, to suggest alternatives, and to
get citizens more interested, involved, and committed to a solution.
Perhaps this has happened; but it has not happened in my neighborhood.  I
can assure you that some of my neighbors share my anger about this.

In my opinion, it is going to be difficult to pass any significant school
bond levy because:

1.    There is a significant part of the public that no longer supports
public education.

2.    The percentage of citizens on fixed incomes who may not be able to
easily afford a tax increase has increased.  These are older people who are
more likely to vote.

3.    There is part of the population that does not support any tax
increases what-so-ever.

4.    There soon will be a competing bond proposal for a combined Latah
Sheriff/MPD facility.

5.    There are strongly held and varied opinions about new/remodeled school
facilities among those generally supportive of public education.  Without
some way of drawing these diverse elements together to support a particular
bond proposal, the generally education supportive votes will be splintered.
It has been my experience that unless all the diverse elements talk and work
together from the beginning, from the beginning, from the beginning, ..., a
viable/passable proposal will not result.

Hence, I think the school board needs to reverse itself a little and very
energetically and tenaciously start the process over along the lines
suggested above about getting a large part of the citizenry meaningfully
involved from the beginning, from the beginning, from the beginning, ...

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com