[Vision2020] school facilities discussion

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Tue Mar 28 14:38:27 PST 2006

Dear Visionaries:

This morning, on my way out to feed my border collie, Fergus, I stepped
in an enormous pile of dog doo.  I stepped in it with my right boot,
and even though I managed to get most of the poop off, it still stinks.
  The left boot escaped damage but I feel . . . lop-sided.  Good thing,
then, that Area Man Dan has presented me with the opportunity to step
in another pile with that other foot.  In other words (squish!) I agree
with Dan.  We need a new elementary school.

Stop yelling!  I know that Russell is a beautiful building, and I
believe strongly in preserving Moscow's historic heritage.  I don't
believe, however, that it makes either economic or educational sense to
renovate Russell or West Park.  Why not?  Because the cost of making
Russell ADA-accessible; of bringing it up to snuff electrically; and of
giving the kids a decent playground is prohibitive.  It will cost far
more to renovate Russell and West Park than it would to simply face the
fact that school facilities have a limited lifespan.  The high school
was built in 1938; it's shot to hell.  I like that it's located
downtown -- I do -- but the cafeteria only seats 90 kids, the science
labs are a joke, the music room used to be the shop room, and the whole
structure is inadequate and well past its prime.  I'm not suggesting a
la Pat Kraut that we raze all of these buildings and make remote
parking lots for New St. Andrews -- I'm suggesting that we consider
constructing a new elementary school, a new high school, and a new
building for Paradise Creek Regional High School, AKA the alternative
school.

[An aside: it nauseates me to hear would-be liberals dismissing the
students of the Paradise Creek Regional High School as "throw-aways."
Those students are not disposable; they matter; they are important.  We
owe them exactly the same stellar service we happily provide those
students who are lucky enough to  attend "beautiful" and "historic"
schools like Russell.  Not only will I not support a school bond that
fails to take the alternative school into account -- I will actively
campaign against it.  The snotty, short-sighted, illiberal elitism I
hear expressed around town and at Moscow School Board meetings used to
make me sick to my stomach; now it just makes me angry and, like the
Hulk, I'm not pleasant when I'm angry.  We as a community need to get a
grip on what's more important: the students or the buildings.
Listening to some of the more ardent Russell-as-a-building lovers, I
find to my horror that their sympathies seem to lie with the bricks and
the mortar rather than with the children in attendance.]

I don't want to rob Carl or Dan or my own in-laws of their happy
Russell memories.  I also think that we missed our chance to restore
that building as a school when the last bond levy failed.  Costs have
not gone down in the year or so since; they've gone up.  So, too, have
interest rates.  We should find a way to save Russell-the-building, but
I see no sense in pouring money into Russell-the-school.  We need a new
elementary school, preferably on the Joseph Street property.

There now.  The doo-doo is on both feet.  I'll scrape it off as best I
can, sit back, and wait for the rotten ether-tomatoes.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com