[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 11, March 20-24

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 11:36:58 PST 2006

Roger,

 I believe that Idaho should eliminate tax on food and  to make up for the lost revenue it should create a tax on services and  raise the current sales tax from 5 cents to 6 cents.

 Sales  tax is a regressive tax. Although the wealthy do buy more items, a  smaller percentage of their income in spent on food, groceries and  consumables then wealthier families that spend a larger portion of  their income on services, such as housekeeping, salon and beauty, tax  services etc.

 Home owners should be guaranteed that the  property tax on their home will not  increase any more than 5% per  year on their first home regardless of the increase in the value of the  home.

  Corporate income taxes should be raised and the amount collected given to support job skills education and training.

  _DJA

lfalen <lfalen at turbonet.com> wrote:

Cynthia
I  would agree that the rate of assessed value should be restricted. I am  not so sure sales tax is regressive as it is a consumption tax and the  people with the most money spent more. Some relief for low income  people should be addressed. This could be done by excluding some of the  basic staples from a sales tax. Another method might be a card issued  to low income people that they could present at the store in order to  not pay tax on food items. This might be cumbersome and subject to  abuse. No system will be perfect.

Roger