[Vision2020] Moscow's New Wal-Mart

Dick Schmidt 44schmidt at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 22 06:40:45 PST 2006

Joe,

I doubt Wal-Mart will build something like this in Pullman or Moscow but
wanted to agitate those who think the world is coming to an end if Wal-Mart
builds either place. They may pull out all the stops to please those who are
against them. All this "hell-raising" against Wal-Mart is not doing a lot
for either town's image as other businesses will look other places to expand
and Pullman and Moscow will stay as they are because many people want it
that way. I think Moscow is probably being hurt more than Pullman because
the Moscow City Council appears to be enacting "protectionist" measures for
new large businesses. At one time I used to scout new locations for the
company I worked for which was in the steel business. We used to open
satellite warehouses to take care of a certain geographical area. Moscow
wouldn't even start to be considered because of availability of adequate
transportation in and out because of the poor roads north, south and east. I
think Moscow needs to wake up and realize they are not a hot commodity.

Dick Schmidt

PS. New motto for UI  "From here you can go anywhere, north or south on the
Goat Trail".