[Vision2020] rally for peace

Sally Perrine sperrine at potlatch.com
Wed Mar 22 06:19:11 PST 2006

Speakers and musicians to rally for peace at community gathering in Moscow

Moscow’s Friendship Square will be filled with speakers, music, banners and
signs Saturday, March 25,
when residents of Moscow and Pullman come together in support of peace in
Iraq.  A rally calling for an
end to continued U.S. military involvement in Iraq will begin at noon,
sponsored by the Palouse Peace Coalition.
Speakers will address the need to continue speaking out against the war as
the US enters its fourth year of conflict.
March 19 marks the three year anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq.

Musicians include members of the groups Bare Wires, Smokin Mojo, and 95
Pines, who have combined forces
as a band.  Individual acoustic musicians who have offered to participate
are David Armstrong, Lanny Messinger,
and Brian Gill, who will lead a sing-along at the close of the rally.
Speakers are Carl Mickelsen, Moscow lawyer and
UI faculty member, Alessandra Crookston, a member of Moscow High School's
Human Rights Club, and Marcus Warwell, a
member of UI Amnesty International.  Kenton Bird, longtime community
activist and University of Idaho faculty member,
will act as MC.

Participants will be asked to write postcards to the White House and members
of Congress from Idaho and Washington,
and will also be encouraged to make a pledge for peace as voters committed
to voting for anti-war candidates.

"Aside from the waste of lives and resources, one of the most disturbing
things about the war is the continued and
increasing lawlessness of our own government", said Carl Mickelson, one of
the speakers at the rally.  "Among other
things I'm referring to the use of torture, 'extraordinary renditions', and
domestic surveillance without court authorization."

Linda Arrasmith, one of the organizers and the mother of a soldier agreed,
adding,  "PPC has given me the opportunity to
voice my opposition to the war in Iraq in a positive way".

This event is free and family-friendly.  For more information, contact Sally
Perrine, sperrine at potlatch.com, or visit
the Palouse Peace Coalition at http://palousepeace.org/