[Vision2020] Living on the Border

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Mar 21 07:23:41 PST 2006

Dan/Joan:

Just catching up on messages after a week away skiing the back
country of Yosemite. Very handy to be out of town for the last week
of candidacy filings as all temptation to file is eliminated when
climbing on 20' of snow at 10,000 foot with the sun shining when it
isn't blizzarding.

Anyway, water over the state line: unless the city of Moscow supplies
the water (an unlikely idea as the city simply doesn't have that
amount of water to give away even if they could figure out how to
work across the state line) the developer must secure water rights to
somewhere between 70-100 acre foot of water. That's a lot of water.
Compared to Moscow pumping, it's about 10% of the entire amount
pumped by the city last year. Washington law allows two paths to
secure a water right: apply for a new water right or transfer an
existing right. New rights are about impossible to acquire as a de
facto moratorium is in place while WA evaluates how much they've
already given away. Transferring a right is allowed. But here's the
kicker: a transfer has to be from within the same source of water as
the new well to be drilled.

We know a lot about the hydrogeology of the subject area and without
getting into a lot of details, it is just about impossible to find
existing rights that would add up to enough water for this
development even if they purchased and then shut down all the other
uses in the corridor.

Bottom line: the argument that if we don't build in Moscow retail
development will go just across the line doesn't hold water. Big
boxes could locate to Pullman proper but they've got the same water
capacity concerns Moscow has. They just haven't been pushed as hard
as Moscow. Yet.

Mark Solomon