[Vision2020] What constitutes good journalism (or why Matt is nowsinging wit

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Mar 19 14:52:10 PST 2006

Vera's column, which I look forward to every Friday she writes, is not
"reporting."  It's Vera's take on local events.  That's the point of a
column -- it's not reporting, it's commentary.  As the daughter of Boston
Globe columnist Ellen Goodman once said, "My mom gets paid to tell people
what she thinks."

Most good columnists, of course, began as journalists.  It's their wealth of
background knowledge, experience, perspective and ability to cut through the
crap that make them valuable contributors to their newspapers, and I don't
know of any regular newspaper columnist who continues beat reporting once
they become columnists.  This is as it should be.  Occasionally you find,
say, a city beat reporter who does a weekend column on duck hunting, but no
newspaper risks credibility by having a reporter who also doubles as a
politics/current events/local news columnist.

I have certainly had my frustrations with the Daily News, but Vera's acerbic
take on local news is one of the primary reasons I continue to subscribe.
I'd love to have a local columnist who is a conservative but not a spin
doctor for any local church, and I'm sure that a careful survey of
readership would find support for such a person.  All of Moscow is not as
liberal as some of us, and some of us are not as liberal as much of Moscow.
Either way, though, mature people can usually read alternative points of
view without spinning into a mouth-foaming frenzy.

keely