[Vision2020] Re: The bone of contention: Do the unborn have a unalienable...

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 17:13:57 PST 2006

On 3/18/06, ToeKneeTime at aol.com <ToeKneeTime at aol.com> wrote:

> I already got your message that you see no difference between animal and
> human life.

That's not quite my message.  I differentiate between a human animal
and a human being.  A human being is a human animal that has developed
into a "person," and thus is morally if not semantically equivalent.
However, it doesn't end there, because we, as human beings, do ascribe
different values to different persons, rightly or wrongly.  Assume
that, in utero, the human animal does somehow develop into what we
could call a human being, i.e., that it became imbued with full
consciousness.  Would this magically sapient fetus really be as
valuable as a two year old child?  This is an ugly question, I know,
and as a parent, I cringe to ask it, but I don't think you would be
surprised by my answer.

> I believe that someday science will in fact overlap with religion to the point where a tangible, physical explanation for what we now call the "soul" will be available.

What's wrong with the answer that science has already provided?