[Vision2020] Re: The bone of contention: Do the unborn have a unalienable right to life?

ToeKneeTime at aol.com ToeKneeTime at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 00:22:42 PST 2006

Nick,

Well, I'd like to think I read your material on abortion  carefully, and I
haven't gone off halfcocked since I was  18.  Besides, I don't see how sexual
dysfunction is relevant to this  debate.  Discussion for another day....

As far as being nasty on list, my comments were mellow in comparison to
those directed at me.  That's OK, I respect the right of others to express  their
views, whether or not I agree.  Tolerance and all that....

Re: abortion.  It would probably behoove us to address the bone of
contention beneath the entire debate before exploring all the corollary  arguments.
Specifically, does an unborn human have constitutional  rights?  Language such
as "right to choose", "safe abortions",  "choice" and "reproductive freedom"
proceed from what I regard as a false  premise:  that the mother (and
presumably) father, have such rights but the  unborn has none.  I don't approach this
debate from a religious  perspective.  I believe that someday science will
unlock the mystery that  we refer to as the soul.  That questions of consciousness,
what it entails,  will become clearer.  It is these elements of our nature as
humans that  distinguish us from all the other living things on this planet.
I think  that at the moment that two people's DNA combine to form another
distinct and  separate entity, these things are encoded, and if left unmolested,
will  develop into a human being. From this standpoint, it seems that we
possess, from  conception, all that uniquely distinguishes us as human.

Before we explore questions regarding viability or degree of brain
development, wouldn't it be helpful and prudent to address the above,  overarching
question?

Best,  Tony