[Vision2020] Understanding Alturas

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Fri Mar 17 16:59:52 PST 2006

>> ---- "g. crabtree" <jampot at adelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>> =============
>> It looks like Mr. Hansen would have us believe that the answer to all
>> of this communities problems is to expand Alturas. As is, the park is
>> as much a home for lawyers and child care centers as it is a home to
>> high tech companies. I seriously doubt that expanding it to the size
>> of the proposed super center will result in any significant gains and
>> to put my money where my mouth is, Tom, I'll bet you $100.00 that
>> after five years the park will not have filled it's current expansion
>> with "high tech" businesses much less be in need of additional space.
>> wa da ya say? I'd love to lose this bet almost as much as I'd love to
>> take your cash.
>>
>> gc

Alturas is home to one lawyer and one child care center.  The child
care center is not an independent entity but directly related to an
existing Alturas business.  It operates as a benefit to employees; it's
a perquisite, an inducement, a means of employee retention, like
vacation days or life insurance.

I do hate to see people running down the technology park when they are
not in full possession of the facts, Gary.  You want to talk about
Alturas?  Then get your shiny hiney out there and talk to someone like
Robin Woods, President of Alturas Analytics and Anatek Labs, and also
President of the Latah Economic Development Council.  I'm sure she'd be
happy to answer your questions, or you might talk to Comtech-AHA, or
Siemens, or EMSI, or CC Benefits.  Alturas will soon be home to another
company that I hear has made an offer on one of the new lots.  What's
more, I understand that there are about 72 jobs out there -- jobs that
weren't there (or in Moscow, period) ten years ago.  Has your business
expanded that much in the past decade?  What have you done lately to
contribute to the growth of Moscow's economy?

To be fair, I must admit that I have not done my part to help The Lock
Shop's business.  Alas, I can't be locked out of my 1976 Chevy
Suburban; it's so old, it starts without a key.  I believe the ignition
lock is stripped.  And this is why I need a 1968 Mustang Fastback
Church of Auntie Establishment love gift.  Please, dear parishoners,
give generously.  Give often.  Give money that's not even yours.  I
don't mind and, what's more, I offer you complete and utter absolution,
no questions asked.  Remember, if you're stealing in the name of
religion, it's not really stealing.  It's more like indefinite
borrowing at zero interest.

The Reverend Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: I know; I'm way over my posting limit.  Sorry about that.  But it's
okay -- I've forgiven me.