[Vision2020] meals on wheels

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Fri Mar 17 16:36:12 PST 2006

On 17 Mar 2006, at 16:10, Tom Ivie wrote:

> This really sounds like a silent tragedy.  I am surprised the papers
> haven't done anything with this story. I don't think most people
> realize the situations (physical, mental, social, etc. ) of the people
> who benefit from meals on wheels. I hope for our seniors sake that
> this can get resolved soon.  Linda Pike is a real go-getter and if
> anyone can find a workable solution, she can.

I agree with you, Tom, except for the part where you express surprise
that this story has not been covered by our local papers.  That's the
one piece of this whole ordeal that doesn't surprise me at all.  The
Daily News has fallen to bits.  While Ed Iverson piddles away all the
editorial board's credibility on the Op-Ed page, the Daily News staff
miss story after story after story.  And what they do cover they
generally screw up.  "WalMart Given Yellow Light By Moscow P & Z?"  Was
the DN reporter attending the same P & Z meeting that everyone else
attended?  I don't think so; I think their reporter was (once again) in
a parallel universe.  You know, that universe in which Tom Henderson of
the Lewiston Tribune bemoans the fact that when George Bush breaks the
law, Congress changes the law to make Bush's actions retroactively
legal.  Meanwhile, Henderson's wife, Virginia, argues on behalf of the
Daily New that when Doug Wilson defies city zoning ordinance not once,
not twice, but three times, it is both wise and reasonable for the city
to set fire to its comprehensive plan in order to rewrite the zoning
laws to suit him.  Fascinatin', ain't it?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: I fear that while Doug screams persecution, what he actually gets
is special treatment.  Say, do you think their might be a connection?
If I flash my ULC Minister's card around, will the city let me run a
meth lab in my chicken house?  It sure would help me pay the mortgage
and, um, meth is part of my religious observance.  Yeah, that's the
ticket!  Yeah!  And marijuana, too.  I need a greenhouse and some grow
lamps.  Anyone care to make a Church of Auntie Establishment
tax-fraud-deductible "love gift?"  Or perhaps buy me a new truck?  You
can do that in my church just as easily as in Doug's -- and the truck
doesn't have to be new.  In fact, it doesn't have to be a truck.  I'm
still plumping for that 1968 Mustang Fastback, folks!