[Vision2020] A piece on New West by our own Keely Emerine Mix

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Thu Mar 16 23:55:12 PST 2006

Dear Visionaries,

Keely Emerine Mix has taken the beautiful, well-argued, moving posts
she wrote last week to this list about her work with hispanic
immigrants and turned them into a terrific essay for New West.  I am
grateful to her for her thoughtfulness, her strength of character, and
her willingness to say what needed to be said in this anti-immigrant
climate.  Our economy is heavily dependent on the thousands of
hard-working and long-suffering people who work, literally, to put food
on our tables while trying desperately to better their own lot in life.
  I encourage you to read Keely's piece here:

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/main/article/6979/C136/L136

Should this link not work for some computer-glitchy reason, you can go
to the New West site, scroll down to Northern Idaho, and find the story
there.  It's called "If you criticize hispanic immigrants, don't do it
with your mouth full."  Keely is not responsible for the title; I am.
I believe she might have come up with something more element -- I, on
the other hand, was moved by her piece to be provocative.

Joan

Joan Opyr
Northern Idaho Editor
New West Magazine