[Vision2020] Council Far From Anti-Growth

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Mar 15 13:42:52 PST 2006

I find it easy to shop in Moscow most of the time, and while there are
sometimes things I can't get here that I have to go online for, there are a
lot of things here I can't get most other places.

For example, my son wears Converse High-Tops in an 11, but he likes the more
offbeat styles, not the limited selection at Footlocker.  Enter Zappos or
Ebay online.  On the other hand, he and I cruise Bookpeople every month for
a magazine we can't find anywhere else, and when my friend from the
Tri-Cities and I went shopping this last weekend, it was at Bookpeople again
that she found an obscure (and discounted) title about a lost Caravaggio
painting.

I bought my funky green-and-white Raleigh cruiser at Paradise Creek,
replaced the stone in my wedding ring at Gem State (the cat chewed out the
diamond; I will not, however, replace the cat), and recently got something
framed at Floyd Peterson's and Katie Beard's frameshop by Tie-Dye
Everything.  The latter I had not known about, but a comically disastrous
turn at Michael's led me there.  I got better work for less, without the
snottiness and inexperience of the Michael's framing department manager.
Just last weekend, I bought stuff at the Co-Op, Spence, Pets Are People,
Too, and Tri-State.  I could have gotten most of it at Wal-Mart, but why
deal with the crowds, the shoddy merchandise, and the largely uncaring
attitude of the clerks?  I don't think I paid more, and I got to chat with
Kara at Pets Are People, Too, who always remembers my darling cat, Finley
(whose name means "one who eats diamonds" in Spanish, I think).  It's a
privilege to shop locally and a concession to go online (for example, I
couldn't find a vintage two-track Druecke scoremaster deluxe cribbage board
here, but that's why we have eBay.  I like to think I make up for it at the
One World and Sangria).

There's no great Econ 101 lesson here, but I think there's a terrific
example of what it means to live in a small town.  I don't feel at all
deprived living here.  What would feel like a deprivation would be going
throughout the day without those small-town opportunities to meet, greet,
and support my neighbors.  I'd miss them, I'd miss their businesses, and I
think they'd miss me, personally and economically, if I played shop-jockey
online or skipped over Moscow to OD on one-stop shopping elsewhere.

And yes, I feel that way even when clerks mistakenly call me . . . sigh . .
. "Kelly."

keely