[Vision2020] Council Far From Anti-Growth

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Thu Mar 16 00:05:35 PST 2006

As someone who is born and raised in Moscow (and been around much
longer than Area Man), I’ve heard the claim that Moscow is anti-
business and/or anti-growth for decades. That includes the last 16
years when we had conservative, Republican mayors. So I don't think
the labels have any meaning when applied to the current council,
which only been in charge for a few months.

As long as I can remember, people have gone to Spokane or Lewiston to
shop. Sometimes it's for a better selection or a better deal. Others,
it's an excuse to get out of town for a while and see the big city.
Does that make the city government unfriendly towards business or
growth?

Perhaps--instead of just claiming unfriendliness due to government or
regulations--we should ask:

a) Is Moscow really unfriendly or is that just a nasty rumor?
b) If there are factors outside the city that influence the
perception of friendliness?

I have a suggestion to start a conversation on b). Once-upon-a-time I
had a conversation with a businessman who had considered locating his
company in Moscow. He decided not to because--in his words--YOU CAN'T
GET THERE FROM ANYWHERE.

Kit Craine