[Vision2020] Read the Whole Bible

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Mar 14 15:29:29 PST 2006

Ralph writes:

"2. Intentional abortion. If a man suspects that his wife has had
intercourse with another man -- and possibly has become pregnant -- he shall
take her to the tabernacle, where the priest will mix holy water with dust
off the floor, where animals are slaughtered for sacrifice, and force the
woman to drink it. If she is guilty, her womb will discharge and her uterus
will drop. In other words, she will have had an abortion (Numbers 5:11-21).
"

Me:

In this case, the woman is pregnant from adultery and is 'guilty.' It seems
we should interpret this in the broader context of what sort of moral and
civic guilt was placed on adultery.  If we condone 'free sex' in our society
today civilly (and perhaps even morally!), then how could one go about
applying this particular passage?

Thanks

Michael Metzler